Sunday, July 6, 2014

"Company T" and Day Five

1/5 of the way through!!!!!

Okay, down to business.  I promised honest, open reviews of the products I am using and here is the first test of that "loyalty".

Actually, my tracker is *not* above. 
This is just a sampling of some of the WIDE variety of Activity Trackers on the planet.
Photo Credit: Danlagendorf


I purchased my activity tracker from "Company T".  I received it in the mail and have been wearing it since it arrived.  While I do have to admit that it has been VERY useful in getting me up off my duff and moving, it's ability to "track" is....less than stellar.

What I need out of an activity tracker:

1. Can track fitness activity done in the water, particularly lap swimming, with accuracy.
2. Can be used with a heart rate monitor for precise calorie burns during aquatic exercise.
3. Can withstand the daily life of a mom.
4. Has a clock.  If I am going to wear it on my wrist, it had better be able to tell me what time it is.
5. Is not so large it looks like I stole my Dad's watch and I'm 5.
6. Syncs with something to help me balance eating and activity (entire purpose for use).

I *thought* I had found a winner.  This one has:

1. The ability to track fitness activity in the water....but not lap swimming.
2. Has a heart rate monitor....that doesn't work in the water.
3. Can withstand the daily life of a mom.
4. Has a clock.
5. Is not so large it looks like I stole my Dad's watch and I'm 5.
6. Syncs with something to help me balance eating and activity (entire purpose for use)

I know 4 out of 6 isn't bad, but the reason I NEED this is for 1 and 2!!  Unfortunately after researching more there is NOTHING - not one single product I can find - that can meet all these needs in 1 shot.

So for now, I will sojourn on with my "Company T" activity tracker.  I'm going to pick up a new monitor for my Polar and use that for in the water activity and track it over the top but unfortunately on the days that I swim then I lose the info the "Company T" tracker puts into the system automatically. 

While musing this morning about getting this to track my aquatic workouts better I thought about the fact that I *could* attempt switching it's location depending on the stroke I'll be using to maximize the chance of relatively accurate tracking.  Maybe the ankle for freestyle and backstroke, hand for butterfly and breaststroke, not sure which for sidestroke which I swim often while teaching J3.  On the upside, this might help.  On the downside I'm going to constantly look like I'm trying to swim and do the hokey pokey at the same time flipping it from limb to limb.... 

So someone out there in tech land, please consider those of us who are fat and still brave bathing suits anyway in the name of fitness?!???!!!  Make a tracker that does what we actually need it to do????

No comments:

Post a Comment