Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Few Recipes...and Day Four

This AM I woke up fuzzy.  Yesterday had been the 4th and frankly I was on little sleep and less patience.  Minor headache, kind of "furry" for lack of a better word.  I would have much rather stayed in bed but as usual, life beckoned so I got up and got going.

I went and grabbed "Company N"s energy drink first thing in the AM.  About halfway through since I tend to nurse this drink like a beer (it's early AM and I'm tired....) I started to perk up.  By the time I'd finished it I was ready to go make some breakfast and get on with the day.  The "fuzzy" was gone along with the minor headache and I no longer feel like I've only gotten 6 hours of sleep.  YAY for the  energy drink!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today begins the "next part" of the "Cleanse Phase".  I started taking "Company N"s probiotic supplements this AM.  They were small, easy to swallow, and no funky side effects.  No more Fiber Drink until Day 8 although I haven't minded that in the slightest.  I still haven't mustered the courage to attempt the "cleansing tablets" again.  I don't know that I ever will.

Now, onto the requests.  Inevitably I post about food and guess what happens?  People want RECIPES.  LOL  So....without further ado, the recipe we used for our turkey last night (which can be done on any grill, charcoal, smoker, or propane - just adjust your cooking times and heat accordingly).

Crazy Yummy BBQ Turkey

Ingredients/Supplies:
1 turkey OR 1-2 turkey breasts OR 1-2 turkey tenderloins (depending on the size of the crowd)
Salt
Pepper
Granulated garlic or garlic powder
BBQ sauce of choice (optional!  Roasts nicely without!  Have chicken stock handy for basting.)

Grill/smoker of some kind.  I prefer doing the fire as indirectly as possible for a longer cook time.
Drip pan (if desired for gravy and/or to prevent flareups)
Fancy schmancy thermometer you stick in the turkey once and monitor from the outside (only mandatory for the high tech crowd)

Steps:

1. Take out turkey of choice.  Season with salt, pepper, and garlic.  Set aside.

2. Send DH out to start the grill or put on your big girl underoos and do it yourself.  Place drip pan in grill if desired.

3. Take turkey out.  Place on grill.  If using BBQ sauce apply 1 layer around the turkey to allow it to "seal", especially important for tenderloin/breasts since there is very little fat!  Close grill.  (If cooking breasts/tenderloins flip @ 15 min.)

4. Now, this is the secret.  LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Keep an eye on the temperature in your grill and the temp of your turkey.  Otherwise, resist the urge to peek.  Greatness is in letting the grill do its job.  Baste w. sauce or stock every 30 min. until done.

5. When cooked to DONE (turkey - cook all the way - no sushi tonight!) take it out and here's the next secret.  LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!  It needs a good 20 minute REST before you cut it open.

6. Cut, serve, marvel at the fact that you didn't really have to do anything. ;)


Now you know the secrets.  While I'm at it, I thought I'd share my favorite Taco Salad.  I had it for dinner tonight while the rest of the family ate tacos.  I know for many it's a 4 letter word thanks to high calorie fried shells and all the other sins on a plate, but give this rendition a try.

Note: My SD card died - this salad looks just like mine.


Taco Salad

Lettuce - 2 c. shredded
Roma tomato - 1/2 tomato, chopped
Ground beef - brown, drain, rinse, mix w. taco seasoning - 4 oz.
Salsa - 2 tbsp

OPTIONAL (but in the calorie count because this is how *I* like it)
Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese - shredded - 1/8 cup
Light Sour Cream - 2 tbsp.

Toss in a bowl like a chopped salad and then eat. :)

Calories: 357
Carbohydrates: 12
Fat: 14
Protein: 35

Turkey is an EXCELLENT substitute for the ground beef if you don't have the wiggle room in your fat for the day.  That said, I *really* like to try and have red meat 1-2 times a week.  We use only high quality beef from a local butcher that purchases only locally raised cattle who are grass fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment